Northwest Elementary School
Northwest Elementary, located in Murray, County Georgia, opened in 1956 with a student enrollment of approximately 250 students. At that time, Northwest was a rural school with strong ties to the community and a stable population that was supportive of the school and the system. The area is still primarily rural and the community has remained supportive, but farms have turned into subdivisions and the population has increased steadily. From enrollment to 400 students in the early 1990s the school had increased to over 800 students in January 2003. Today, due to the additional construction of new schools in the county the enrollment is in the 500s.
In 1999, the school was remodeled and additional instructional areas were added to the school. The new design provided for an amphitheater and other outdoor areas. The school is also enhanced by a beautiful community park that was built from donations in honor of students who were involved in a train/bus accident in March 2000.
During the 2018-2019 school year, the Children's Kindness Garden was established. The goal of the project is for students to embrace kindness each day as they enter the Northwest Campus. Beginning with the 2018-2019 school year each student designed their own kindness rock to remain in the garden. The goal is for each outgoing kindergarten class to leave their message of kindness for future students at Northwest.
Northwest provides an environment that is non-threatening and supportive of all school populations. The mission for each of its students is for all to become self-confident problem solvers who use the skills they have acquired at Northwest as stepping stones for life long learning. These are not mere words, but embrace a philosophy that all students and teachers strive hard to incorporate into each day's activities.